Saturday, March 12, 2011

Roadtrip!

I traveled to Florida over spring break this year with four 20(ish) year olds.  Two my own,  two friends and our little dog.  The plan was to drive from Michigan to Ohio where we would pick up my daughters friend, rest for the night and then make the 17 ½ hour drive to Florida. I was thinking that breaking up the drive like that would work out great.  I borrowed a car top carrier from a friend to store the luggage making more room for the kids and the dog. 
Our first “hiccup” came before we even left Michigan.  The car top carrier would not fit on the top of the car.  Since I don’t have any luggage racks there was nothing to attach the carrier to. The boys worked for about an hour in the cold and rain trying to figure it out. But in the end they made the decision that we really didn’t need the car top carrier.  It was only 17 ½ hours and yes they would be cramped but they were sure that one more person and her luggage would not make it too awful.
We arrived in Ohio slightly past midnight and all headed to bed. The plan was to get up before the sun rose, load up the car with the additional luggage and begin our Florida adventure!
We all got up and I sent the boys out to pack up the car.  They quickly returned with a dismal report.  There was no room for more luggage and an additional rider.  After a quick look I had to agree, there was seriously no room. We had to do something.   I had my son check on his smart phone for a U-Haul close by.  I remembered that U-Haul rented car top carriers.  We found that there was one just 1 mile away and they opened at 7am and it was 6:55am!  Eureka! God was with us!! We got there just as they opened only to find that they in fact do not rent car top carriers. The did sell 2 different kinds.  Both, however needed a luggage rack in order to attach to a vehicle.  Discouraged, we walked out to the car and noticed a Wal-Mart right across the street open 24 hours!!  My passengers were ecstatic with the hope of a reprieve from the cramped confines of the car. 
Through the pouring rain we trekked across the street, sure that the friendly people of Wal-Mart would not let us down. We were not disappointed! They had a carrier but we needed to purchase a set of poles that would work as luggage racks.  Our problem was solved! 
We headed across the street to a covered gas station for the boys to first attach the poles and then the car top carrier. After about an hour of the boys trying to figure out how to put the poles together, my daughters’ friend suggested we take the poles and the new car top carrier to a local auto mechanic that had worked on her familys cars.
We arrived at the shop at 8:30 Saturday morning.  Jim, the owner was there to help.  After trying numerous ideas, he was able to attach our newly purchased car top carrier minus those pesky poles. He worked for 3 hours on a Saturday morning and yet refused to take any money for his time. We were so very grateful! 
11:30 we pulled out of the garage, almost 6 hours past our original planned departure time.  And now we were hungry and tired!  We ate and finally at 1:30 in the afternoon we were on our way.  17 ½ hours to go, but we were on our way none the less.  We were already tired and cranky!
 I have to tell you it was the longest 18 hours of my life!!   I kept texting my friend who encouraged me to keep my eyes on the prize, warmth and blue waters. All we saw was rain..all the way! What a relief to see the sun and blue waters at our condo early Sunday morning!
I learned two very important lessons on this trip.
The first is from Philippians 4:4; Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say rejoice!
Paul repeats the command to rejoice.  I think it’s because it isn’t always easy.  I know it was very difficult over those 18 hours to rejoice.  Rejoicing in the Lord is a choice.  It isn’t in our nature to rejoice.  Our nature is to grumble and complain.  But God calls us to Rejoice in Him always!
The second very important lesson I learned?     Next time fly!

1 comment:

  1. Can't POSSIBLY agree more with points one AND two. Crazy, Marie! Glad you all made it in one piece!

    ReplyDelete