Sunday, February 13, 2011

Breakfast

A few years ago my daughter had a friend visit from South Africa and he shared something with me that really changed my life.  I was reaching for a “chelsey bun” the South African term for cinnamon roll and he said, very nicely,
Hey Mrs. M. have you had a good breakfast?
 My reply was, “This IS my good breakfast!”   His reply was very thought provoking.
 He said;
“Oh Mrs. M. you can have the chelsey bun just have a good breakfast first.  The first thing you put in your body is what your body will absorb best, so if you have a good healthy breakfast first and nourish your body with good things. Then if you still want the chelsey bun you can have it.
Well he was studying to be a doctor so I figured he knew what he was talking about, so I put the chelsey bun down and reached for a piece of fruit and granola.
  But I continued to think about what he said.  The first thing I put in my body is what my body will use for fuel.  If I ate the cinnamon roll first the empty calories and the loaded sugar would start my body on a sugar high that would not last and would work against the desire to be healthy.  It made sense to me. The more I thought about it the more I could see implications for my spiritual life as well.
 I had determined to read through the bible for the first time that year and taking Nick’s advice it would be the first thing I put in my spiritual body so that my spirit had good food to feed on. 
Wow did it make a difference!
 I found by reading the Word of God first thing my day went better.  When I set my eyes on Jesus the very first thing in the morning somehow I always had time the time to do my devotions.  I found taking those first few minutes in the morning to reach for something healthy, something that nourished my spirit caused me to grow strong in grace and in joy.  I was planting the word in soil not yet polluted with the cares of the world. 
The Psalmist says,
Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord.
      Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly.  Psalm 5:3
Now I know God hears me no matter when I pray but  when I chose to go to  God’s word to nourish my soul first thing in the morning,  I plant His truth in the fresh soil of my spirit.  It has a chance to grow deep and flourish.
Now you may not be a morning person, truthfully neither am I, But I challenge you to reach for His word first thing.  Trust me it will be worth it! 

2 comments:

  1. Marie - what an AWESOME post. LOVE this lesson! I shower and dress first (LOL otherwise I never would) - but God's Word is the very next thing on my list. Welcome to blogging, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie - I will continue to remember Nick's comment! That was an excellent thought. I enjoyed this post a lot. Challenging and uplifting. Made my night and I will remember this when I get up tomorrow morning. I know myself so well, I will be wanting to jump right into Hearts Alive preparations! I had better slow down and fill myself with what God wants me to hear first. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete